Portobello Fajita Tacos with Chipotle Lime Tofu
Recently I've been trying to eat more gluten free meals in my everyday diet. I don't have a gluten allergy but I do believe that eating meals containing gluten can lead to making unhealthy decisions on my part.
So on a journey to creating more sustainable eating habits and a more healthy relationship with food I've decided to try it out. As you can tell I was craving tacos and found an amazing alternative to tortillas that is gluten free and oil free and also high in protein!
- 2 Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- Fresh Cilantro (if ya like that)
Chipotle Lime Baked Tofu
- 1 Block Firm Tofu
- 1-2 Tsp Chipotle Powder
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Lime Juiced
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tsp Liquid Aminos or Low Sodium Soy Sauce
Avocado Salsa Verde
- 2 Tomatillos
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Jalapeno
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro
- 1/4 Small Yellow Onion
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Start by preheating your oven to 425°F and cutting the tofu into cubes. Add to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix it up until all the tofu is coated. Let it set for 15-30 minutes so the tofu adsorbs all the flavors (of if you're impatient like me toss them in the oven right away) Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
- Next chop up all of your fajita veggies into longer strips. In a pan over medium heat add the onions first. Add a little water and cover to help them cook down.
- Once they're a little brown and transparent add the bell peppers and a little more water and cover again until they cook down.
- The fajita veggies may take a while to cook so you can do these things while you wait! Chop up all the ingredients for the Salsa and throw them in a food processor or blender. Blend or pulse on low until everything looks well combined and finely chopped. It should be more on the chunky side.
- Now set those aside and in the same pan you used for the fajita veggies add the porobellos, paprika, a little bit of chopped cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Let the mushrooms saute.
- Once they're done load up your tortillas with some fresh lettuce and anything else you'd like! You can use store bought or use my recipe for homemade gluten free chickpea tortillas here.